As tree and shrub care experts, we get a lot of questions from homeowners about when, why, and how to prune trees. One of the most common questions is when to prune trees in Northwest Atlanta. If you’re wondering the same thing, it’s good that you’re here—because pruning season is coming up!
When to Prune Trees in Atlanta
According to the Georgia Forestry Commission, you should prune your trees before leaves start to emerge in the spring. You should also prune any dead, damaged, or diseased branches as soon as possible once you notice them. Decaying branches make the whole tree vulnerable to pests and diseases.
Of course, there’s an exception to every rule. In this case, be aware that you should not do any major pruning of a young tree until after it has made it through two growing seasons.
3 Reasons to Prune Trees in Late Winter
Pruning trees during their dormant period in the winter is beneficial for a few reasons.
- It’s less stressful for the tree, and gives it a chance to close the pruning wounds before the weather warms up and brings with it insects and disease that can wreak havoc on your trees.
- When spring arrives, the tree will be able to put all of its energy into the buds on the branches you’ve kept, instead of using resources for undesirable growth like suckers, sprouts, or crossed branches.
- The extra energy going to the buds will result in an abundance of growth when spring arrives, leaving you with a tree that is not only healthier, but which also looks more lush and beautiful.
Other Tree Pruning Tips to Keep in Mind
- Remember, just like with hair cuts, that you can always take more off, but you can’t put it back on! A good rule of thumb is to never prune more than 25% of the live tree growth like leaves and branches in a year. If you remove too many leaves, the tree will not be able to absorb enough sunlight to get the energy it needs to grow.
- If your tree’s branches are on track to interfere with power lines or other utilities, it’s important to prune for functionality and safety. Be sure to consult a professional when utilities are involved!
- Take a look at your trees from the perspective of pedestrians as well. Are there branches blocking the sidewalk? If so, they should be pruned to clear the walking path.
If you’re looking for tree experts or landscaping services in Marietta, Kennesaw, Acworth, and elsewhere in Cobb County, we’d love to answer any questions you have about our services. Contact us or give us a call at 404-448-3372 to learn more, and get ready to enjoy a more beautiful landscape at your home.